Re: how to remove libsystemd0 from a live-running debian desktop system

On 16/02/2015 21:31, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Feb 16, Alastair McKinstry <alastair.mckinstry@sceal.ie> wrote:
>
>> The breakage of compatibility of existing systems (e.g. with /usr on a
>> separate partition) has left a sour taste. I spent  a weekend repairing
> systemd introduces no such breakage. Also, /usr on a separate partition
> was partially broken even before systemd.

My system broke. It was fine, I did an upgrade -> jessie. It broke
because of systemd and the fact I had /usr on a separate partition.
Its an old system. Much repair later showed I was lacking some modules
due to a lack of space at one time. So ok, not a "proper" bug, my fault,
no bug logged. However I did spend the weekend rebooting, hacking, to
try and get it fixed.

But the fact that I did not end up needing to submit bugs against
wheezy/jessie hides the fact that things broke. There are lots of
'slightly non-standard' systems out there that have minor local changes
that the admin can maintain. As systemd touches so much, it will break
lots of these corner cases
>> I have real problems with this lack of modularity.
> Again, you clearly do not understand well how systemd works.
Yes, and you've failed to see how this is not just my problem, its
Debians problem.

Its fairly typical for a developer to have in-depth knowledge in the
corner where they are working, but a mild working knowledge of other
areas, where they don't need to keep up with the latest developments in
the field. E.g. I don't pay attention to the latest developments in
bluetooth. It just works (or doesn't), I don't care.

But systemd now touches everything it seems. For example networking:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-networkd-IP-Forward

I have local, special changes to networks and firewalls. Am I supposed
to keep intimately involved in systemd developments in this area, to
make sure my systems will stay working?
I have no desire to do so, and none to explain what unique changes I
want to maintain on my home systems and make sure they work. I just want
the code base involved to be small enough that I can follow and change it.

When we voted on default pid0, I was not particularly concerned, but
this is definitely not what I signed up for.

!

--
Alastair McKinstry, <alastair@sceal.ie>, <mckinstry@debian.org>, https://diaspora.sceal.ie/u/amckinstry
Misentropy: doubting that the Universe is becoming more disordered.