I am maintaining both ntop and ntopng. They are both in testing.
ntop is no longer supported by upstream and I would like to remove it from Debian.
ntopng is a complete rewrite of ntop.
How would you recommend to phase it out?
I could have ntopng include a ntop transitional package, but:
- ntop has version 3:5.0.1, ntopng 1.2.1. I would need to bump the ntopng version to 4, and I am not very excited by that
- there is no migration path from ntop to ntopng. All settings and data would be lost, therefore I am concerned that people would be disappointed if at point their instance of ntop is replaced with ntopng with default credentials, maybe on a different port.
Should I just request the removal of ntop instead?
- Re: (unknown)
- From: Andreas Metzler <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Re: none
- From: Tollef Fog Heen <email@example.com>
- From: Paul Wise <firstname.lastname@example.org>