Re: Embedded systems and systemd

> Why, precisely, do you foresee future problems with embedded systems
> development?  Personally, I'm looking forward to a much easier time
> building future embedded systems using systemd, or the occasional
> too-small-for-anything-else embedded system (that couldn't run standard
> sysvinit or Debian for that matter) using a dedicated
> init=/custom-program.
One concern I'd have is the lack of flexibility to produce a cut-down
system.
The option of "a dedicated init=/custom-program", but lack of an ntpd,
for example,
because ntp has been absorbed into systemd's orbit and other ntpd's
bitrotted.

I'm heartened that some developers are doing the work to make
non-systemd remain a
viable option in debian, but for it not to degenerate into "the systemd
way / the less maintained
and tested non-systemd way", we need to promote the APIs  and preserve them.

> - Josh Triplett

- Alastair

--
Alastair McKinstry, <alastair@sceal.ie>, <mckinstry@debian.org>, https://diaspora.sceal.ie/u/amckinstry
Misentropy: doubting that the Universe is becoming more disordered.