Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

On Nov 12, 2014, at 10:02 AM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

>I don't know. My long term hope is that in this process we will get to a
>situation where:
>- either the tools are sufficiently interoperable that we don't have to
>  care about this
>- or one of tools emerges as standard supporting all the important
>  workflows that people are using

I think we should strive for #1 for now and see if #2 emerges.

>I am rather opposed to this because it because it doesn't separate clearly
>the namespaces for the upstream development and the namespace for the
>Debian packaging.

I still think you could get away with simpler names for most cases, but it
also seems fine to establish these namespaces.  I mention it because over in
Debian Python we've been experimenting with the migration to git, and if we're
going to continue then I think it's useful to align with this DEP.  It'll mean
renaming some branches in the experimentally converted repos, but that's
should be okay.

>> for the current Ubuntu development series.  If I needed to support older
>> releases in either distro, then debian/wheezy or ubuntu/utopic would be good
>> branches to use.  (Or IOW, what's the equivalent of debian/sid for Ubuntu?)
>
>I was wondering that as well. For Ubuntu, it probably makes sense to use
>ubuntu/master because the latest development release regularly changes and
>it's not a good idea to alway update the branch.

Actually, Ubuntu does have a 'devel' channel for rolling releases, and I
believe it's guaranteed that this will always point to the current,
in-development version.  E.g. right now it points to vivid.

So I guess ubuntu/devel makes the most sense here.

>Or maybe we recommend "upstream/latest" by default but allow "upstream"
>alone in the case when there are no other upstream branches tracked ?

+1

Cheers,
-Barry