Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

Barry Warsaw writes ("Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories"):
> On Nov 11, 2014, at 10:26 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> >Vendor namespaces
> >-----------------
> >
> >Each "vendor" uses its own namespace for its packaging related
> >Git branches and tags: `debian/*` for Debian, `ubuntu/*` for Ubuntu, and
> >so on.
>
> My question is whether the vendor namespaces are overkill for the
> majority of packages, where there probably will be just one vendor
> (i.e. Debian).  Should DEP 14 allow for a simplified layout such as
> master, pristine-tar, upstream when there is no other vendor
> involved?  Allowing for master as an alternative to debian/sid or
> debian/master might simplify the common case.

I think this is a bad idea.  Having a single standard arrangement is
much more useful, than having a variety (which every tool will have to
cope with).

Of course anyone is free not to follow the recommendations in
Raphael's document.

Ian.