Re: Release Team Sprint Results

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 09:33:07PM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> [re-adding -devel@]

> On Mon, 2014-11-10 at 21:20 +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > On Mon, 2014-11-10 at 13:08 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > Hi Jonathan,

> > > On Sun, Nov 09, 2014 at 11:52:31AM +0000, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> > [...]

> > > I'm rather certain that i486 hasn't been supported in Debian for at least
> > > the past 4 years (and probably much longer, my memory is fuzzy; but as a
> > > data point, https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/11/msg00687.html).
> > > Why is this on the release team's radar as something that needs to be
> > > documented in the release notes for jessie?

> > I believe this was intended as a reference to this change in the latest
> > Linux kernel upload:

> >   * [i386] Rename 486 flavour to 586, as it has not worked on 486
> >     processors since we enabled CC_STACKPROTECTOR (Closes: #766105)

Ok, well, given that Debian didn't work on 486 for years before that, I
think this is a non-event that doesn't need to be release-noted.

  "However, given that this fatal bug has not (so far as I know) been
  reported in the 5 years since it was introduced in unstable, I suspect
  you're one of a very few people still using Debian on a 486, and you may
  find many other things broken."