Re: What is the policy on audio group? and, proposal of a new group for the jack audio server

* Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> [141110 00:55]:

> >> This usually happens via UPnP or similar, though - the actual audio is
> >> ultimately done by a local user. So the audio group is unrelated to this
> >> usecase.
> >
> > It very much is, because those users are usually daemon users that
> > are not logged in through a session manager, and thereby don't get
> > access granted by PolicyKit (or equiv).
>
> Fine, put those daemon users in the audio group - in their packages'
> postinst scripts, if necessary. I'm not saying that the audio group
> should be abolished, only that "normal user" accounts (as created by
> d-i, gnome-control-center, etc.) should ideally not be members of it.

I fully agree; it's just that the audio group can't just vanish.

> FYI, PolicyKit is not actually relevant here: the actual access control
> for (most uses of) the audio group is done by the kernel, when an
> application running as the target user (often something like PulseAudio
> or JACK, rather than the actual user-facing application) tries to open
> the audio device nodes. systemd-logind implements "locally-logged-in
> users may use audio devices" by setting ACLs on the device nodes for
> those users:
> [..]

I vaguely remember PolicyKit being involved in the daemon situation,
when mpd tries to talk to a pulseaudio server which magically gets
spawned ... I'll probably just have to figure out the details again
when any of the moving bits change.

Cheers,
--
 ,''`.  Christian Hofstaedtler <zeha@debian.org>