Re: What is the policy on audio group? and, proposal of a new group for the jack audio server

On Sun, Nov 09, 2014 at 02:33:54PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On 09/11/14 13:53, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> > So, who determined that audio group will not be used as a default user
> > group in Debian
>
> As far as I know, nobody yet. Marco was expressing what he thinks should
> happen in future, not what has happened already. I agree with his
> opinion on this.
>
> > and when you say eventually, do you mean Debian 9?
>
> I think that would be a good timescale, yes.
>
> Members of the audio group can play and record[1] audio via remote
> logins, even when not physically present at the hardware. To me, that
> doesn't seem consistent with a "least astonishment" policy for users of
> a shared machine to have privacy from each other: if I have a private
> conversation "in real life" while using a shared computer, and Bob has
> an account on that computer but is not present or logged-in locally, it
> doesn't seem desirable for Bob to be able to record my conversation.

On the other hand, it would break typical uses of using sound remotely.
These days, shared computers are almost unheard of save for some school
settings -- while loads of people have some raspi mediacenter or press
some buttons on their phone to control sound coming from the big computer.

Removing the primary user from the audio group would mean you need to
do unobvious (for a non-sysadmin) configuration changes for something
most people take for granted.

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple