Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

* Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> [140909 11:43]:
> Am 09.09.2014 17:15, schrieb Ansgar Burchardt:
> > Having only some systems switch to a different init system on upgrade
> > seems potentially confusing to me.
>
> Agreed. We definitely should switch the machines on upgrades. There is a
> good reason why we also did it when switching to dependency based boot.

I disagree.  Switching automatically might be okay if the sysadmin has
not made any local modifications to the boot process, or if you can be
sure that systemd is going to do the right thing with the sysadmin's
modifications, but preserving local sysadmin changes has alway been one
of the things that set Debian apart from other distros.  Please don't
mess this up now.

As for dependency based boot, it recognized when it could not handle it
properly (at least on one machine of mine) and fell back to manual
ordering, with an appropriate log message.  ISTR that I had two full
releases after upgrading to dependency based boot before I was forced to
fix it.  If systemd gives that kind of fallback, I will not complain.

...Marvin