Re: More tasks option in Tasksel: what tasks do you want there?

On Sep 08, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:

> Same applies to "file server".  This task installs nfs-kernel-server, samba.
> Not owncloud or whatever.  Both unconfigured.  How is that better than just
> letting the user install whatever file server kind they want?
> What is "SQL database"?  Current it stands for just "unconfigured
> postgres".
Agreed. There is no point in having tasks which are mostly equivalent to
"apt-get install something" and do not even provide something which
immediately works for less technical users (who are the target audience
of tasks).
They do no help these users (even worse: they create false expectations)
and can be immeditely recognized as a stupid waste of attention by
everybody else.

On Sep 08, "Jeremy T. Bouse" <jbouse@debian.org> wrote:

> Having just recently rebuilt one of my laptops with the current Jessie image
> it would have been nice if "Debian desktop environment" were able to give me
> a choice as I didn't want Xfce so I had to wait till it finished installing,
Me too, and I expect many many others as well.
If we really have to appease the followers of the single CD install
religion then at least we should provide a Gnome task for everybody
else.

--
ciao,
Marco