Re: More tasks option in Tasksel: what tasks do you want there?

On 07.09.2014 18:02, Adam Borowski wrote:
On Sun, Sep 07, 2014 at 04:37:31PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
Hi,

During Debconf14, I could chat with Joey about the future of Tasksel, and having a "More option" task, which would lead to a new screen which
would propose more tasks.

Before anyone can implement this plan, we have to make sure that we all agree on what kind of tasks we want to implement. What I already agreed with Joey, is that having a list of 200 tasks will *not* be helpful, so we have to make sure we carefully choose what we will implement. So I
have setup a wiki page so that we can share our thoughts.

Is there a page for "LessTasks"?

The current d-i tasksel page is:
☑ Debian desktop environment
☐ web server
☑ print server
☐ SQL database
☐ DNS server
☐ file server
☐ mail server
☐ SSH server
☐ laptop
☑ standard system utilities

[...]

So let's start with trimming the list. This will provide some space for choosing between XFCE/Mate/Gnome3/KDE/WindowMaker/fvwm/etc, which is an
important decision to be made at tasksel step.

Having just recently rebuilt one of my laptops with the current Jessie image it would have been nice if "Debian desktop environment" were able to give me a choice as I didn't want Xfce so I had to wait till it finished installing, rebooted, found out Xfce was picked for me so I could purge it and install what I wanted for my desktop environment. Likewise Exim4 might be well and good for some but it's not my MTA of choice when I go to install a mail server, so being able to have a choice between the MTAs available would actually be nice. At this point the only viable option is to uncheck everything, install as a bare base system and then deal with package inclusion post-install reboot.