Re: systemd, again (Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing)

On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 11:12:35AM +0200, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Noel Torres <envite@rolamasao.org> writes:
> > So, in your POV, forcing millions of sysadmins out there to take extra pain to
> > keep their systems running as they expect is the way to go?
>
> I think it's fair to expect the few hundred people[1] that want to run a
> non-default init system to do so, yes.
>
>   [1] I can also make up numbers :)

Ok, so let's quantify the view of sysadmins somehow.  This can actually
be done in a meaningful way: let's count posts on places where
technically-minded folks gather.  There's plenty of minor blogs that are
biased, but let's choose big sites where we can have a reasonable chance
of being unbiased.  I chose Slashdot and it's fork, SoylentNews.

Counting only posts above the default threshold for a non-logged-in user:

http://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=14/09/01/1844249
(article about "Poettering's vision")

unrelated/no clear opinion:  3
anti-poettering:            10
anti-systemd in particular:  8
ambivalent:                  1
pro:                         0 !!!

http://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=14/08/19/0841221
(article about systemd)

unrelated/no opinion: 12
pro:                   1
anti:                 15

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/14/09/02/2037251/you-got-your-windows-in-my-linux
(article about systemd-caused schism)

unrelated/no opinion: 33
pro:                   2
anti:                 22
ambivalent:            4

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple