Re: First steps towards source-only uploads

Hi,

On 08/12/2014 12:33, Hector Oron wrote:
>> We will allow not including arch:all packages in uploads once we have
>> sorted out how to get them built.
>
> Has it  been already discussed? If so, where?

Not the part to actually implement it. But from my memories people in
the buildd team had no principal objections, it's just that someone
needs to spend time to implement everything needed for this.

I asked in #-buildd recently what needs to be done to start building
arch:all packages in the buildd network:

First, w-b has to recognize that arch:all packages need to be built.
And they need to be scheduled on a buildd which builds the arch:all
packages (and only the arch:all packages?).

For the latter I assume sbuild would need an option to build only the
arch:all packages using dpkg-buildpackage -A. It would also be
interesting to test which packages FTBFS in this case.

There are also other problems that need to be eventually addressed: as
far as I know there are some source packages producing arch:all binaries
that cannot be built on all architectures. A Build-Architecture-Indep
field was proposed to indicate where it should be built in this case[1],
but for now I think we can require that maintainers have to upload the
arch:all packages in this case.

Ansgar

  [1] <https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/02/msg01149.html>