Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 10:56:50PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hmm, pre-warning if there are no fixes is not enough.
>
> Let me ask you - why is libpng still holding back so many other things?
> Because not all png deps are converted. And we are speaking about years.
>
> And just for practically no new functionality we switch with
> upower to a new version that breaks lots of other functionality?
>
> Normally, on a incompatible change, the maintainers of the software
> that breaks other, provides fixes ... not just warnings.

Software is not maintenance free. A distribution like Debian ensures
that everything works together. If you choose to support software you'll
ensure that it works. Meaning: add patches in case upstream does not do
that.

UPower mentioned to use the systemd interface instead. There is
disagreement about this, etc. I see too much discussion regarding:
- systemd
- what UPower maintainers should do

While it should _also_ be about:
- how much extra work will Debian incur (rc bugs, etc), is that
  acceptable, etc

In the initial message it was mentioned that having an active upstream
provides benefits. If upstream is not active, then you can talk about
who should've done what all you want, but in practice you/Debian has a
bunch of extra work to do.
--
Regards,
Olav