Re: How Debian should handle users requests?

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014, Abou Al Montacir wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-07-28 at 17:31 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > No. There are also those which won't be fixed because we are never
> > going to get enough useful information, no matter how hard we try.
> > This is generally the case with user support requests missend as
> > bugs against `general'.
>
> Those are either fixed in the long term or we finish by getting someone
> smart enough who reproduce them. I'd suggest to keep them.

We don't delete bugs; if anyone fixes them or reproduces them, they can
be reopened.

A bug being closed is just a state which is useful for maintainers and
developers to keep track of bugs.

In these cases, I'd personally prefer that the bug be tagged with some
combination of moreinfo and unreproducible, and then closed in short
order[1] if the additional information or reproduction of the issue is
not forthcoming.

We don't want to discourage new bug reporters, but we also don't want to
give new bug reporters false hope and discourage them even more when
their report is summarily ignored.

1: Or immediately, especially if the closure message informs the
reporter that they can reopen the bug once they have provided more
information and the initial bug report is content-less.

America was far better suited to be the World's Movie Star. The
world's tequila-addled pro-league bowler. The world's acerbic bi-polar
stand-up comedian. Anything but a somber and tedious nation of
socially responsible centurions.
 -- Bruce Sterling, _Distraction_ p122