Re: systemd now appears to be only possible init system in testing

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 08:19:14PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 25.07.2014 19:23, schrieb Steve Langasek:
> > On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 06:56:06PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> >> ]] Martin Steigerwald

> >> How long are do you think is reasonable to wait then?

> > For the specific case of a change that makes basic desktop functions
> > unusable between upgrade and reboot (including the "reboot" button itself),

> Well, systemd-shim doesn't solve that problem either.
> The policykit package in wheezy uses ConsoleKit as backend.
> So if you're logged into your wheezy desktop, you only have a CK session
> registered. Installing systemd-shim doesn't magically register an active
> logind session.

Correct.  But it's well-established that, when you upgrade your system,
things may be broken in a currently logged-in desktop session until you
log out and log back in.

The difference here is that, without systemd-shim, logging out and logging
back in still does not give the user a working session, you would have to
completely reboot instead.  I think this is an important difference in the
quality of the upgrade experience.