Re: systemd now appears to be only possible init system in testing

Hi Julian,

long time no see!

[ IMPORTANT - COC DISCLAIMER - IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ BEFORE CONTINUING ]
This email is the personal opinion of its author.
As we are not allowed to criticize due to the newly installed
Code of Conduct, you are required to pre- or postfix *every* sentence
in the following email with one of the following fragments:
	. I thing it might be an option to say that ....
	. I could reach the opinion that under certain circumstances ...
	. In my all too humble opinion, which is not important, ...
Failure to do the above will result in wrong interpretation of the
following email, so stop reading here if you are not ready to do that.
[ COC DISCLAIMER ENDS HERE ]

[ JOKE DISCLAIMER START ]
If you are without humour - stop reading here!
[ JOKE DISCLAIMER END ]

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> much depends on it, so that's not an option: gdm3, gnome-bluetooth,
> network-manager, policykit-1, udisks2.

Yes, if you use *anything* slightly gnome related, you are hosed
and need to install systemd.

You need to get rid of gdm3, gnome-bluetooth, and network-manager,
then it should be possible to get a system without systemd.
If you want one of these ... well, then the systemd mafia got you!

That is Debian, as long nobody steps forward and stops this.

> unclear whether this was a deliberate policy decision or an unintended

Deliberate. Since systemd* 208, systemd-shim is "said to be not compatible"
anymore. Well, here we go with freedom.

> summary, I need to unlock an encrypted filesystem during boot time by
> asking for a password to feed into encfs.  But I cannot figure out how
> to do this under systemd.

Everything can be done in systemd, since it is Turing complete.
The only problem is that nobody knows how to, it is not predicatable
what will actually happen (formatted hard disk, crashed kernel, etc).

In your case I *strongly* recommend to remove nm, gdm3 and by this
get rid of systemd, too.

> Answers to this question would also be much appreciated!

There are thousands of emails here, all with the same effect:

	We have commit rights, so go away and shut up!

or alternatively

	We are systemd, and we are now the only init system in Debian,
	so go away and shut up.

or again alternatively

	One init to rule them all, to bind them, and throw them into
	darkness!

Fortunately, I don't use encrypted disks or anything fancy, so I am
stupid dummy user that has no special requirements. So I am free to
use systemd, because this is the target audience!

If you would fall into the same category, you could be happy, too, but
alas, ... you are a power user and thus hosed.

Norbert

[ END OF DISCLAIMER GOVERNED TEXT ]

GPG: 0x860CDC13   fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0  ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13