Re: myth(?): places in the world where https is illegal? Re: people.debian.org will move from ravel to paradis and become HTTPS only

Hi Jacob,

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 01:14:14PM +0000, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> I believe you are mistaken. My understanding is that you're not
> supposed to use crypto on the radio layer and IP packets are already
> several layers away from that concern. It would be great to hear from
> a HAM radio literate lawyer on this topic. Perhaps someone can ask the
> EFF if it is actually an important sticking point?

I am not a lawyer but I am a radio amateur. Here is a link to the Ofcom
Amateur Radio terms:

https://services.ofcom.org.uk/amateur-terms.pdf

"11(2) The Licensee shall only address Messages to other Amateurs or to the
stations of those Amateurs and shall not encrypt these Messages for the
purpose of rendering the Message unintelligible to other radio spectrum
users."

I would take this to mean that no part of the message can be encrypted.

> More importantly, I suspect would be to first ask if anyone in the UK
> uses IPv4 over AX.25 to access people.debian.org?

This is not beyond the realm of possibility. It would be permitted by the
Ofcom terms to download Amateur Radio software from p.d.o and also to browse
Amateur Radio software documentation hosted there, which are both things
that the Debian policy would permit to be hosted.

There are likely also other cases, which granted are likely edge cases,
where encryption cannot be used.

> Isn't any country that outlaws use of crypto by free people by
> definition a crackpot country? :-)

Indeed.

Iain.

--