Re: let missing-debian-source-format lintian tag be a warning!

Le Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 03:26:30AM +0200, Mattia Rizzolo a écrit :

> In fact I'm wondering what is the rationale to stay with the 1.0 format, given
> all the benefits of the 3.0 (quilt) format:

Hi Mattia,

I am not a big fan of the 3.0 (quilt) format because it imposes a patch system.
In particular, this format does not make much sense when managing the source
package with Git.

This said, adding “single-debian-patch” in debian/source/options makes the 3.0
(quilt) format emulate the 1.0 format quite well, while keeping the benefits of
the 3.0 format family, in particular having the debian directory in a separate
tarball, and supporing xz compression for the original upstream tarball.

So on my side, if the single-debian-patch workaround is widely accepted (in
debian/source/options, not debian/source/local-options), then I would not mind
the 1.0 format to go away.

This said, even the 3.0 (quilt) format is starting to show its age.  We need to
be ready for the post-tarball era…

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy