Re: GR - collecting proposals (was Re: systemd is here to stay, get over it now)

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Thorsten Glaser <tg@debian.org> wrote:
>    - existing installations of older (pre-jessie) Debian may be
>      upgraded to our new standard init system systemd, but only
>      after the user has been suitably warned, e.g. via a debconf
>      propmpt at priority "medium" (i.e. not shown to novices)
>    (maintenance burden is on the package maintainers, plus a
>    possible team of volunteers, for the init scripts; maintenance
>    burden for the upgrade scenario is with the maintainers of the
>    affected packages (sysvinit and systemd, AIUI))
>    => we promote our new default, but permit our users to choose
>       for themselves, if they feel they are technically skilled
>       enough to make this choice and live with the limitations
>       of a non-standard system; switching back and forth between
>       the two supported systems is always possible

I appreciate this as it is about freedom of choice.
I think that it would be valuable for our users to keep the
non-default init system working on Jessie for those who do neither
intend nor need to switch to systemd.

Cheers.

--
Alessio Treglia          | www.alessiotreglia.com