Re: possible MBF: automatically detecting unused build dependencies

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> Empty packages are not "detected". The first phase will find empty
> packages because they do not contain any files and thus they are
> detected as build dependencies of which no files were used. Since
> empty packages are mostly meta packages and we do not want to include
> them, we replace them by a fake equivs package without dependencies.
> If the build still succeeds, that means that the meta package is
> indeed not needed.

Unfortunately, this is not necessarily the case; some builds systems
disable "optional" functionality if the required build dependency is not
present, and still let the build complete.

Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us what
it's like to be Beethoven, and Bach tells us what it's like to be the
universe.
 -- Douglas Adams