Re: possible MBF: automatically detecting unused build dependencies

Hi,

Quoting Julian Taylor (2014-07-07 14:14:20)
> There seem to be a bunch of false positives for virtual/metapackages:
>
> ==> python-numpy_1.8.1-1.arch-all.unusedbd <==
> gfortran=4:4.8.2-4
> python-all-dbg=2.7.6-2
> python-all-dev=2.7.6-2
> python3-all-dbg=3.4.1~rc1-1
> python3-all-dev=3.4.1~rc1-1
>
> the -all packages are basically empty packages pulling in all python
> versions supported, those packages are definitely used during the
> build.
> Removing them during an arch-any build should fail the build.  does sbuild
> --arch-all only build the indep part?

Sorry, I attached the wrong files in my first email. I posted a follow up with
the correct results which correctly do not contain the empty packages anymore.

> If so that might explain why your pass2 did not remove these, but so far I
> know we have no way to declare this state in our control, we only have
> Build-Depends and Build-Depends-Indep, no Build-Depends-Arch.

Was Build-Depends-Arch not added with #629480?

> Similar fftw3:
> ==> fftw3_3.3.4-1.arch-all.unusedbd <==
> gfortran=4:4.8.2-4
> ghostscript=9.05~dfsg-8.1
> mpi-default-dev=1.0.2+nmu1
> transfig=1:3.2.5.e-3
>
> mpi-default-dev is not used directly but its dependencies are required
> for the fully featured arch any build.

Same story as above. Sorry for the confusion :(

cheers, josch