Re: possible MBF: automatically detecting unused build dependencies

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Johannes Schauer <j.schauer@email.de> wrote:

> Can you spot obvious mistakes in the results or in the procedure used to
> generate them?

There seem to be a bunch of false positives for virtual/metapackages:

==> python-numpy_1.8.1-1.arch-all.unusedbd <==
gfortran=4:4.8.2-4
python-all-dbg=2.7.6-2
python-all-dev=2.7.6-2
python3-all-dbg=3.4.1~rc1-1
python3-all-dev=3.4.1~rc1-1

the -all packages are basically empty packages pulling in all python
versions supported, those packages are definitely used during the
build.
Removing them during an arch-any build should fail the build.
does sbuild --arch-all only build the indep part? If so that might
explain why your pass2 did not remove these, but so far I know we have
no way to declare this state in our control, we only have
Build-Depends and Build-Depends-Indep, no Build-Depends-Arch.

Similar fftw3:
==> fftw3_3.3.4-1.arch-all.unusedbd <==
gfortran=4:4.8.2-4
ghostscript=9.05~dfsg-8.1
mpi-default-dev=1.0.2+nmu1
transfig=1:3.2.5.e-3

mpi-default-dev is not used directly but its dependencies are required
for the fully featured arch any build.