Re: How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?

On 01/07/2014 19:59, Matthias Klumpp wrote:

These are valid points, and thank you for reporting bugs! However, as
unstable user, some breakage can be expected, and the point for
transitioning early in unstable is to make the transition as smooth as
possible when someone uprades Debian stable, which is not affected by
init-system changes at all.

Sure. I also had bug with libc, X and so on in the past breaking the machine. Just my personal feeling is that it does currently break valid setup a bit easily to my taste (setup running for years on unstable + experimental while regularly updated).

Running stable is fine *when you can*. Each user buying a recent AMD/ATI graphic cards or and AMD APU for an htpc needs experimental stuff to get video acceleration (glamor support is not even in unstable and radeonsi and later needs it). Support for recent Intel graphic feature is also problematic and vaapi is undergoing massive changes in th same area.

You can indeed argue it is a way of rapidly collecting bugs but you better have to fix them rapidly enough or people will revert and/or hold their packages for not being annoyed until it stabilizes more and it will/may void the target.

And again, I have no religious/sound opinion on which init system is better. As an old folk I'm a bit concerned about the size for maintainability reasons and the fact that it is almost already mandatory because more and more packages starts depending on it or making changes that implies systemd (like udisks2) but that's all.

-- eric