Re: Debian default desktop environment

William Ivanski dijo [Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 02:57:14PM -0300]:
> (...)
> My father doesn't have experience with computers, he only use it for Office
> and Internet. I suggested him to switch to Linux and he agreed. So I wiped
> out Windows from his computer and put Debian Wheezy with KDE. He started
> using it with almost no need to teach him. Later he told me that Dolphin is
> far superior than Windows Explorer. He uses Debian for almost a year now,
> never complained, never asked for help.
>
> Do you guys think he would feel such comfort if I installed Gnome or XFCE
> on his computer? Of course not. Even I don't get comfortable with Gnome or
> XFCE, and I really tried.
>
> To me, KDE is the default desktop environment. It doesn't matter which
> desktop environment is the default for Debian.

Each of us will have different anecdotary evidence pushing the opinion
one way or the other. We cannot please everyody with a single DE, and
that's (part of) the reason there are so many. I can speak you of the
users I switched over that are perfectly happy with Gnome (started
with 2.x and migrated painlessly to 3.x). Note that I could not do the
same - I was +- at ease with Gnome 2, but loathe the 3.x
interface. Oh, and the KDE interface has always stung my eyes and
fingers.

But hey, i3's interface is just right! It works wonders and is just
perfectly usable by Power Users with the same ideological and
metaphorical biases than me. And I am the standard. So lets push i3
for the default desktop.

The reasoning fault? This experience is all centered around me. And I
am quite atypical in most settings you can put me in. Maybe my reason
to come to life was to serve as statistical noise.