Re: Debian default desktop environment

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 08:18:41AM +1100, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 14:16:15 Undefined User wrote:
> > The problem is that right now Debian project is changing its default
> > desktop environment, and I think that this is not a good move. Of course,
> > it all depends on where the project is aiming at, specially on which users.
> > But, for normal users, Gnome 3 is a way better experience than Xfce.
>
> I think Xfce is much better *default* desktop environment (DE) than Gnome.
>
> As KDE fan I do not like Gnome. Those who forget to choose DE in installer
> (just like I did more than once) and end up with Xfce will have a lot less to
> remove from their systems shall they choose to use a different DE.
>
> Faster installation is another good reason to stick with Xfce by default.

Disagree - Gnome 3 I would think for MOST users would be preferable.
Like the OP says Xfce4 is not desirable for most users coming from the
dark side or heck perhaps for most users on Linux that want a modern
desktop.
Like the OP - I didn't like Gnome-Shell at first, but after giving it a
month I really started enjoying it. It's also mature and being worked on
extensively. Not something one can say about Xfce4 at this point.

I think you're probably the exception to the rule.