Re: Proposal: remove krb5-appl (rlogin, rsh, telnet, ftp with krb5 support)

On 29 January 2014 07:11, Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> wrote:
I plan to request removal.
If there's a debian developer who thinks I'm making the wrong call they
should feel free to turn my removal request into a request to  adopt the
package.

It has been suggested that we should plan to do the similar thing to Heimdal at about the same time. To avoid the possibility that people who used these programs move to Heimdal, and then get annoyed if we do the same thing at a later stage.

Heimdal has a bigger list of programs that will be affected:

So I propose that we completely remove the following packages:

heimdal-clients-x (contains xnlock, kx, tenletxr, rxtelnet, rxterm)
heimdal-servers-x (contains kxd)
heimdal-servers (this isn't kdc, but contains rshd, login, ftpd, telnetd, popper, kfd)

From the following packages I propose we remove the following programs:
heimdal-clients - ktelnet, kftp, krcp, kf, krsh
* there are several others here I am not convinced should keep, e.g. otp and otpprint, which has nothing to do with Kerberos. I imagine there are far better facilities in Debian for OTP in other packages.
* some of the programs in heimdal-clients I don't know what they do off hand, would need to double check these.
--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>