Re: Can/should we have an efi/efi-any platform architecture?

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 12.12.2014, 12:07 +0000 schrieb Wookey:
> +++ Sebastian Reichel [2014-12-11 21:25 +0100]:
> > How about building for "arch: any" and adding a build dependency
> > on a new "efi-support" package, that is only available for
> > architectures with efi available?

I was about to suggest the same thing.

> That is a sensible suggestion. It keeps the ecosystem of 'efi stuff'
> more self-contained than involving dpkg. If it was expected to change
> frequently this would probably work better in practice.

that’s what the Haskell packages to. Some require a certain feature that
is not available on all arches, and a virtual packages provided only on
those arches (ghc-ghci) is used in the Build-Depends. Works great, and
once a new architecture gets added, all packages are automatically
built.

> However it does leave the depending packages listed as
> 'BD-uninstallable' on the non-efi architectures, which gives the
> impression that one day they _should_ appear, which is not really the
> case here.

True, but so far did not bother a lot of people. So given that there is
precedence, I suggest this route rather than touching dpkg for this.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner