Re: Can/should we have an efi/efi-any platform architecture?

Hi,

Quoting Dimitri John Ledkov (2014-12-11 22:28:07)
> And it will require a long time to be used. Imho this smells more like
> a build profile e.g.
> BuildDepends: does-not-implement-efi <!efi>
>
> That way on non-efi implementing architectures the package will get
> stuck in a dep-wait state.

I wouldn't say it "smells" like a use for build profiles because it would
require builders to set the DEB_BUILD_PROFILES variable on known architectures.
Depending on whether or not you see it as one, this might open a "can of worms"
because this technique could then be "abused" for other non-efi source packages
which should also only be built on a certain set of architectures.  This in
turn will increase the amount of existing build profile names which is
currently a well defined set of cardinality six.

Depending on whether or not you want Debian to use build profiles more like
Gentoo USE flags (Debian build profiles are equally powerful in what they allow
to express) instead of limiting build profiles to "special" situations like
bootstrapping or cross building, this increase of build profile names might be
a good or a bad thing.

cheers, josch