Re: Can/should we have an efi/efi-any platform architecture?

Quoting Simon Richter (2014-12-11 19:36:19)
> On 11.12.2014 19:08, Leif Lindholm wrote:
>
>> If we could transition this to be able to specify efi-all (or
>> whatever) instead of an explicit list of certain architectures, this
>> would be a lot more straightforward operation.
>
>> Would this be useful, desirable, an accident waiting to happen?
>
> Useful, possibly, but there is no mechanism that could be used or
> recycled for that, so it would be an entirely new mechanism in the
> package management framework, with a fairly limited use case.
>
> As this is something that changes rather seldom, I think it would be
> overkill.

Perhaps if framing it more generally instead, it would be relevant to
work on.  How about a control file hint "Arch-Varying:" listing features
known to be "crippled" for some of the archs they are actually compiled
on?

Example that popped up recentently is VLC which upstream supports OSS as
fallback for ALSA, and (as I understand it) for Debian is built
_without_ support for OSS on Linux archs where ALSA is generally (but
possibly not for all use cases) superior.

I imagine vlc could be tagged as "Arch-Varying: alsa oss"

...where the "alsa" hint can be expected for any package supporting alsa
but working to some degree without it, whereas the "oss" hint for some
would be a reason to inspect closer (e.g. check README file for
details).

To minimize creativity in feature naming we could put names up on a wiki
page, and later if/when gaining traction move that to Policy.

 - Jonas