Re: "general" bugs

On Tue, 09 Dec 2014, Simon Richter wrote:
> as two bugs have been filed against "general" in the last days by
> users who were unsure which package to file against, I think it would
> be great to have a well-defined process for reporting bugs that cannot
> be immediately mapped to a package.

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting has the current procedure:

    What package does your bug report belong to?

    You need to know what package your bug report should be filed
    against. See this example for information on how to find this
    information. (You will use this information to see if your bug
    report has been filed already.)

    If you are unable to determine which package your bug report should
    be filed against, please send e-mail to the Debian user mailing list
    asking for advice.

    If your problem doesn't relate just to one package but some general
    Debian service, there are several pseudo-packages or even mailing
    lists that you can use to relay your message to us instead.

I don't particularly mind if we change it to have an "unknown package"
pseudopackage instead of debian-user, but some list/someone would have
to be the maintainer, and deal with triaging those bugs.

Herodotus says, "Very few things happen at the right time, and the
rest do not happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct
these defects".
 -- Mark Twain _A Horse's Tail_