Re: Technical committee acting in gross violation of the Debian constitution

Hi,

Martin Steigerwald:
> But I think for most of the people that dislike systemd this is the main
> concern: systemd is a lot of system building blocks in *one* repository and
> *one* debian package and while they may be separatable they are not separated.
>
> But well, its an upstream topic and I actually tried to bring this upstream,
> but didn´t seem to be able to bring my point across

What exactly _is_ the point? It's one git repository instead of five, but
what (technical) problem would having five repos and five Debian source
packages, instead of one, actually solve?

IMHO: None at all. Instead it creates busy-work, and a testing headache
because you can't depend on a definite version of $OTHER_BINARY any more.

There are obviously social problems with merging systemd and udev into one
repository, and with having systemd and logind (and/or a couple of other
helpers) there. We're seeing them; it's one of the major complaints about
systemd.

But it's Upstream's decision to do that. Absent a reasonable technical
argument, I can understand that Lennart&Co get extremely impatient with
having to re-hash the same old non-argument for the umpteenth time, even
if not everybody actually gives them flak about it.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs