Re: Re: init system policy

Eric Valette:
I just mentioned that naively  combining User=$TOTO or ${TOTO} TOTO
> being defined in an default/package file parsed by EnvironmentFile=
> does not seem to work as documented in man pages (seen the very same
> question being asked on various distro mailing list without
> definitive answer).

It's working exactly as documented. The man pages don't say that any such feature is available; and it isn't. (-:

Eric Valette:
systemd for servers systems may  still have some way to go
> for converting complex init scripts for firewall,openssh,VM's IMHO.

On the contrary, SSH service is one of the things that it is easy to set up service and socket units for, with two different choices of organization dependent from what program has the responsibility for doing the accept()s. init.d scripts for this aren't exactly terribly complex to start with, in the general spectrum of complexity across the board. In FreeBSD, for example, the rc.d script is yet another ordinary command="/usr/sbin/${name}" script: https://gitorious.org/freebsd/freebsd/source/f1d6f4778d2044502209708bc167c05f9aa48615:etc/rc.d/sshd . It has some non-trivial precmd tasks, but that's nowhere near as complex as some scripts.