Re: init system policy

On 11/21/2014 03:26 PM, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
> Eric Valette:
>> There has been a good and  valuable effort trying to split original
>> upstream packages provided init system scripts by debian developers
>> into /etc/default/X and /etc/init.d/X file and storing most commonly
>> changed sysv init options in the default file part (including start
>> or not). Wasting this work due to systemd transition would be a bad
>> idea IMHO.
>
> It's actually thinking that /etc/default is the right place for service
> enable/disable information that has traditionally been seen as the bad
> idea.  See Debian bug #522163 for starters.

Never said that. I know the master of the universe said /etc/default
must dispappear but his arguments are more than weak IMHO...

I said separating complex config file into elements that should be
modifiable by almost anyone without noticeable impacts and change that
may lead to more complex situations is good for the novice. I do not
assume everyone has been using Unix since its birdth...

-- eric