Re: Being part of a community and behaving

On 13/11/14 23:16, Brian May wrote:
> On 14 November 2014 04:20, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez <clopez@igalia.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The last one that I read is that udev is going to stop working on
>> non-systemd systems:
>>
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html
>>

> I don't read anything in that post that says this.
>
> Am guessing you a referring to the "Also note that at that point we intend
> to move udev onto kdbus as transport, and get rid of the
> userspace-to-userspace netlink-based tranport udev used so far" quote.
>
> Which would suggest that udev might stop supporting the
> userspace-to-userspace netlink-based transport in the future. However,
> unless I am mistaken, I don't think this means it will no longer work on
> non-systemd systems.

Once they replace the netlink transport with kdbus, udev will
effectively require kdbus to work.

And for kdbus to work (with the current implementation) some user space
daemon has to set up the system bus and configure it. This is not a
trivial task, and the only daemon that currently does that is systemd
(pid 1).