Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

Hi Ian,

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog writes ("Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories"):
> > +When you have good reasons to only store the `debian` packaging directory
> > +(for example when the uptream sources are really huge and contains mostly
> > +non-patchable data), you can do so but you should then document
> > +this in `debian/README.source` along with some explanations of the tool
> > +to use to build the package.
>
> I think your document should be neutral on the choice between
> packaging-only and all-inclusive workflows.

While I'm all for embracing as many workflows as possible, I don't agree
that all of them should be on an equal footprint. When new contributors
that do not have any specific preference wonders what layout they should
use, we should provide them a clear answer.

Then if they have reasons to prefer something, else, fine. But just
submitting raw data and letting them pick one of them based on his
judgment is not the best option when we aim for more standardization in
the long term.

Much like we have a "default desktop environment" we should have a default
layout for a git packaging repository.

> Your DEP will be most useful if it documents best practices for each
> of the commonly found layouts.

I'm certainly ready to integrate other best-practices that are specific
to the packaging-only way of doing things. Since I don't use that model,
those people should submit them in this discussion!

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer