Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

On 12/11/14 13:38, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> IMHO there are two basic approaches which are mostly at odds with
> each other.

I think there are at least three.

> Two: Treat Upstream tarballs as Source Code; if Upstream generates
> them from git-or-whatever, that's not our problem. Use a script to
> mangle the upstream tarball if it contains nondistributable files.
> Keep autogenerated Makefiles et al. around.
>
> Keep Debian packaging completely separate (in a different branch,
> or even in a diffferent archive) and use a quilt-ish workflow which
> treats the content of debian/patches as first-class citizens.
> There's not much point for other distros to share our packaging
> repository, so why plan for it?
>
> Let's call this one "divided".

Three: same as Two, but the Debian packaging branch is branched from
the upstream branch, so it contains unpatched files *and* debian/
*and* debian/patches. ("semi-integrated"?)

That's the gbp-pq workflow used in pkg-perl, pkg-systemd, pkg-utopia,
pkg-telepathy, etc., and I think might also be the one Raphael advocates.