Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> following the initial discussion we had in August
> (https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/08/thrd2.html#00499), I have
> written a first draft of the Debian Enhancement Proposal that I suggested.
> It's now online at http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep14 and also attached
> below so that you can easily reply and comment.
>
> I have left one question where I have had conflicting feedback
> and I'm not sure what's best. Thus I will welcome a larger set of
> opinions on this specific question (search for "QUESTION" in the
> text).

> The Git repository listed in debian/control's `Vcs-Git` field should
> usually have its HEAD point to the branch corresponding to the
> distribution where new upstream versions are usually sent. For Debian,
> it will usually be `debian/sid` (or sometimes `debian/experimental`).
>
>   QUESTION: some people have argued to use debian/master as the latest
>   packaging targets sometimes sid and sometimes experimental. Should we
>   standardize on this? Or should we explicitly allow this as an alternative?

Please allow debian/master as an alternative.  It fits with the general git
usage of "master", it fits with the workflow of several packages, where you
do experimental->unstable, and it is not going to surprise anyone that has
even a passing knowledge of the usual git conventions.

In fact, I was quite non-amused by the initial versions of this idea, but
reading this latest version, I must say I *like* it.  Well done!  I am
especially happy about the way it respects the usual git usage conventions,
this will ease its adoption a lot.

It does fail to mention security, and stable-proposed branches.  We can just
leave those to maintainer's discretion, of course.

  Henrique Holschuh