Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014, Iustin Pop wrote:
> >   QUESTION: some people have argued to use debian/master as the latest
> >   packaging targets sometimes sid and sometimes experimental. Should we
> >   standardize on this? Or should we explicitly allow this as an alternative?
>
> Interesting. Assuming a normal Debian package that has just a few
> backports (as opposed to every sid release being backported), and which
> imports only upstream tarballs/snapshots (not the whole history), I
> expect that a high proportion of the commits would happen on this
> branch. In which case, why not make it 'master', without debian/ ? Is it
> (only) in order to cleanly support multiple vendors?

This way DEP-14 can support upstream work being done in the main namespace
(master branch, unprefixed or "v"-prefixed release tags, etc), while
downstream/distro/vendor work is done on the vendor branches.

Which is the natural way it will happen when you have upstream and
downstream packaging being done by the same person, or by the same team.

  Henrique Holschuh