Re: inconsistent versions of M-A: same packages

Hi Holger,

Quoting Holger Levsen (2014-11-07 15:46:31)
> On Mittwoch, 5. November 2014, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> > yes, you did miss something :-)
> > first link on the page: "Non-installable packages"
> > https://qa.debian.org/dose/debcheck/unstable_main/index.html
>
> thanks! (+doh, I guessed I oversaw these links on the debcheck pages and then
> didnt find anything for the outdated and file-overwrite checks so I didnt
> check again.

but was your original question not about debcheck checking for multiarch
co-installability across architectures?

I agree with Ralf, that this would best be done not by debcheck but by a small
script which compares if the Packages files for all distributions ship M-A:same
packages in the same version.

> > 2) if you ask about co-installablity of packages with the same name but
> > different architectictures (and which are M-A=same) : this is a completely
> > different (and much more interesting) question. Since dose is now
> > multi-arch aware we can do this, but there are some questions to discuss
> > about the precise scenario. Is this what you meant ?
>
> yes, these are the interesting cases to discover (and fix)!

One interesting scenario for which to detect co-installability problems is when
it comes to satisfying crossbuild dependencies.

The following page is regenerated daily:

http://bootstrap.debian.net/cross.html

I have new hardware now, so I plan to extend the set of source packages that I
check for crossbuild dependency satisfaction.

Furthermore, a current "problem" of debcheck is, that it will only tell you one
reason for non-installability but for fixing problems like this it is useful to
have more than one reason to be able to parallelize bugreports and to better
estimate how many packages are blocked by a certain multiarch problem. I'm
currently working on an enhanced dose-builddebcheck version which will provide
this functionality and when it's done, the web page above will show those
additional problems too.

cheers, josch