Re: dgit and git-dpm (was Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories)

[resending because my MUA failed to mangle the headers]

Dimitri John Ledkov writes ("Re: dgit and git-dpm (was Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories)"):
> dpkg-source removes it, by default, for 3.0 based formats as it's part
> of the default ignore list.
> (or rather ignores it)

No, it's not strictly in dpkg-source (not in dpkg-source -b, or
dpkg-buildpackage8 -B, anyway).  The contents of the default ignore
list is in dpkg-source, but it is not enabled unless the caller says
-I.  git-buildpackage passes -I.  dgit's build options specify (either
directly or via whatever helper they're using) -i\.git/ -I.git

I think this is arguably a bug in git-buildpackage or dpkg-source, but
I don't want to get into a (another) workflow fight with the
maintainers of other tools.  It does seem to me to imply that using
git-buildpackage to do an NMU is risky, because:

If some user of git-buildpackage (without dgit) tries to do an NMU of
a package containing .gitignore, it will remove the .gitignore.  If
the NMUer doesn't notice, then the maintainer certainly will when they
come to integrate the changes, and can put the .gitignore back.

The maintainer can also send the NMUer a polite email asking them not
to use dodgy tools :-).  If the maintainer is using dgit the
.gitignore removal will be quite obvious, and easy to undo.

Ian.

(build)ian@zealot:~/junk/d$ dpkg-source -x 1/dgit_0.22.dsc
gpgv: Signature made Tue 19 Aug 2014 10:53:40 UTC using RSA key ID 48B50D39
gpgv: Can't check signature: public key not found
dpkg-source: warning: failed to verify signature on 1/dgit_0.22.dsc
dpkg-source: info: extracting dgit in dgit-0.22
dpkg-source: info: unpacking dgit_0.22.tar.gz
(build)ian@zealot:~/junk/d$ dpkg-source -b dgit-0.22
dpkg-source: warning: no source format specified in debian/source/format, see dpkg-source(1)
dpkg-source: info: using source format `1.0'
dpkg-source: info: building dgit in dgit_0.22.tar.gz
dpkg-source: info: building dgit in dgit_0.22.dsc
(build)ian@zealot:~/junk/d$ mkdir 2
(build)ian@zealot:~/junk/d$ cd 2
(build)ian@zealot:~/junk/d/2$ dpkg-source -x ../dgit_0.22.dsc
dpkg-source: warning: extracting unsigned source package (../dgit_0.22.dsc)
dpkg-source: info: extracting dgit in dgit-0.22
dpkg-source: info: unpacking dgit_0.22.tar.gz
(build)ian@zealot:~/junk/d/2$ ls -al dgit-0.22/.gitignore
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 70 Nov 27  2013 dgit-0.22/.gitignore
(build)ian@zealot:~/junk/d/2$ cd ..
(build)ian@zealot:~/junk/d$ debdiff 1/dgit_0.22.dsc dgit_0.22.dsc
Warning: You do not seem to have interdiff (in the patchutils package)
installed; this program would use it if it were available.
gpgv: Signature made Tue 19 Aug 2014 10:53:40 UTC using RSA key ID 48B50D39
gpgv: Can't check signature: public key not found
dpkg-source: warning: failed to verify signature on /home/ian/junk/d/1/dgit_0.22.dsc
dpkg-source: warning: extracting unsigned source package (/home/ian/junk/d/dgit_0.22.dsc)
(build)ian@zealot:~/junk/d$