Re: uploads to unstable in times of freeze (was Re: debconf as a registry)

Quoting The Wanderer (2014-10-19 15:24:03)
> On 10/19/2014 at 09:19 AM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>
>>> If package is suitable for unstable but not for testing, please
>>> upload to unstable and file severe bugreport to keep it from
>>> entering testing.
>>
>> I thought so too, but learned that this is a bad idea. Sometimes, you
>> have to update the package in testing, get a freeze exception or
>> somesuch. These all go via unstable.
>>
>> So, if it’s not suitable for testing, do not upload it to unstable
>> starting a month or so before the freeze.

We perfectly agree: Potentially getting in the way of fixing bugs in
testing renders a package *not* suitable for unstable.

Also: Potentially done badly due to $TOO_DRUNK or $TOO_TIRED or
$TOO_DISTRACTED or $ADD_YOUR_CONCERN_HERE also renders a package
unsuitable for unstable.

...but my aim was not to cover all cases, only point out *relevant* ones
for this thread.

> Does that still apply for a package which isn't in testing at all, and
> has never been in unstable before?
>
> Because I wouldn't expect so, and I thought that such a package was
> what we were talking about here.

At least such package is what I am talking about, and I believe the
original poster as well.

Perhaps topic drift is the cause for confusion here.

 - Jonas