Re: apt-get install sysvinit-core removes gnome?

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> cc:ing the apt maintainers to get their opinion on making this the default...

aspcud is not suitable as a default solver. It is far too slow and
ignores some aspects people are accustomed to, like a Depends: a | b
installing a whenever possible. Same for all other CUDF solvers.

> On Sonntag, 19. Oktober 2014, Thomas Krennwallner wrote:
>> > Basically, this boils down to the fact that people shouldn't have to read
>> > a manpage about a complex priority scheme in an equally-complex
>> > resolver. All I want is for aptitude to behave in a sane way by default.
>>
>> I think it's time to use apt-cudf. On a standard sid installation with
>> gnome, it could perfectly resolve this situation:
>>
>>  % apt-get -s --solver aspcud install sysvinit-core
> [keeps gnome]
> [...]
>> Compare with apt-get without aspcud:
>>  % sudo apt-get -s install sysvinit-core
> [removes gnome]
>
> wow.
>
> I guess the usual "too late for jessie" applies, though, or?

Something strange is going on there. If I do the same on my system
which has its own GNOME meta packages currently, I get:

The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  gnome-packagekit-data
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it.
  acpi-fakekey acpi-support acpi-support-base acpid cgmanager ethtool
libcgmanager0 libck-connector0 libnih-dbus1 libnih1
libpam-ck-connector
  pm-utils systemd-shim
Suggested packages:
  radeontool consolekit
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gnome-packagekit gnome-packagekit-session gnome-session-flashback systemd-sysv
  acpi-fakekey acpi-support acpi-support-base acpid cgmanager ethtool
libcgmanager0 libck-connector0 libnih-dbus1 libnih1
libpam-ck-connector
  pm-utils systemd-shim sysvinit-core
0 upgraded, 14 newly installed, 4 to remove and 102 not upgraded.

Although none of gnome-packagekit gnome-packagekit-session
gnome-session-flashback need to be removed. I thus believe gnome gets
removed because it depends on gnome-packagekit which APT somehow
thinks it has to remove.
--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.