Re: apt-get install sysvinit-core removes gnome?

On 16/10/14 12:20, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
Apitude, too, *really* likes to choose 500 deletions rather than upgrading
even a single package to a version with slightly-lower priority (as defined
in /etc/apt/pref*), but at least you can tell it to try harder. :-/

I got sick of "remove half the planet" being the first suggested option, so added a configuration fragment to /etc/apt/apt.conf.d that gets a behaviour I find more reasonable:

mormegil@cocytus:~$ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00dontbeanidiot
Aptitude::ProblemResolver {
SolutionCost "priority, removals, canceled-actions";
}
mormegil@cocytus:~$

(Yes, the choice of filename does reflect a certain amount of... *grouchiness* on my part regarding the default behaviour of the aptitude interactive dependency resolver. This is a home system; if I was writing this up as a general-purpose article I'd give it a less loaded name.)