Re: static linking: alternatives for glibc?

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 11:27 PM, Michael Tokarev wrote:

> But with jessie, for one, all network name resolution (gethostby* etc APIs)
> don't work anymore, because glibc does not provide them instatic libraries.
> So usual network utilities in busybox does not anymore, they just return
> `host not found' (unless you use IP addresses).

Was the removal of gethostby* APIs from the static glibc intentional?
Perhaps glibc upstream would be willing to restore them?

> So basically, I'm back to square one.  Maybe I can build busybox-static
> against musl on those architectures where musl is present, and use
> old glibc way on those where musl does not exist.  But that'd be
> non-practical (but on the other hand, the most demanding and practical
> platform for busybox-static is x86 anyway, where musl exists).

Seems reasonable to pursue this concurrently with getting glibc
upstream fixed. Then you could use musl on platforms where it exists
for reduced size and glibc elsewhere.

--
bye,
pabs