Re: Inert DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS noopt in debian/rules files

Hi!

On Mon, 2014-10-06 at 01:55:01 +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>, 2014-10-06, 01:33:
> >I realized that any debian/rules file that calls dpkg-buildflags through
> >make's $(shell) function will not honor at least noopt from
> >DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS, which affects the build flags returned by
> >dpkg-buildflags.
>
> Why?

Because make does not (yet) pass make variables to $(shell) subshells.

> >any package handling the flags inline will probably be affected, as I
> >don't expect that case to be currently handled.
>
> I've just checked a random package of mine[0], and it honours noopt just
> fine.

Try this:

  $ make -f debian/rules DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=noopt build

instead. This just breaks the interface. We could of course simply
just document that people should not do that… it's still a regression
from when people switched to dpkg-buildflags (me included).

(Or get the make bug #327154 fixed. :)

Rereading my mail again, it sounded a bit alarmist, the situation is
not *that* bad, as in the consequences on normal usage, it just affects
probably lots of packages, in case we care.

Thanks,
Guillem