Re: dgit and upstream git repos

Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org> writes:

> When I had my new upstream version ready, however, and tried to merge it
> into the dgit branch, I realised that my development branch did not
> contain ./configure, Makefile.in and other autogenerated stuff, while
> the dgit branch of course did.

> If anyone is working in a similar scenario and has a handy workflow
> with dgit, can you please tell me how you do things?

With the caveat that I've not used dgit, the problem of merging an
upstream release without generated files into a Debian packaging branch
that has them is solved in (e.g.) git-buildpackage's gbp import-orig with
the --upstream-vcs-tag flag.  That lets you specify the upstream tag that
serves as the basis for the import, but continues to maintain a separate
upstream branch that represents the actual tarball with all the generated
files.  On import, it commits the contents of the new tarball to the
upstream branch as a merge commit, with parents being the upstream tag and
the previous state of the upstream branch.  This gives you a branch you
can merge into the Debian packaging branch and get all of the behavior
that you want.