Re: bash exorcism experiment ('bug' 762923 & 763012)

On Sep 30, 2014 7:59 PM, "Russell Stuart" <russell-debian@stuart.id.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-09-30 at 13:08 +0200, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> > You really really should be looking at replacing any
> > ash variant with mksh. It’s not that much bigger (at
> > least if you add -DMKSH_SMALL to CPPFLAGS and build
> > with klibc or dietlibc or so), but much saner.
>
> I am not a fan of any particular variant of *sh.  They are all horrible
> computer languages.  Nothing over a couple of lines should be written in
> them, as they are idiosyncratic, error prone and basic software
> engineering processes (like units tests) difficult.

I'm not a big fan of bash scripts either but that's because I don't know bash as well as say perl. Bash /can/ look elegant and not need to use sed, ask, grep, and cut every other line.

I hate the idea of dash. It's not more secure (see vmware cve for an example) and I think it was more of an accident than anything else this didn't hit dash too.

I use zsh as a user but keep everyone else bash by default as people are more likely to test scripts with bash (in Linux) or sh (on anything else). If redhst, suse, and oracle all moved their default system shell to dash, I'd switch but for now, debian is an outlier here. And any other "ash variant" would be tested less than even dash so there's no way in hell I'm going there to run main system processes.