Re: bash without importing shell functions from the environment

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 04:29:05PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I have prepared bash packages which do not honour any shell functions
> they find in the environment.  IMO that is a crazy feature, which
> ought to be disabled.  (I'm running this on chiark now and nothing has
> visibly broken yet.)

Thank you very much for doing this. I would love to see Debian transition to
having this facility disabled by default at some point in the future.

> A codesearch [1] shows that this change will break very few things.

Of course that won't help indicate which external scripts will be affected.  To
get something like this in the archive, we will probably need a runtime switch
to re-enable the old behaviour, if your patches don't already (I haven't looked
yet).

> Arguably we (Debian) should apply this in sid (hence this bug report).
> Doing it in security updates to stable releases is sadly too risky.
> But people who want to take that risk themselves are welcome to
> install my packages.

I'm definitely going to try this in a few places to test to see how widespread
the impact might be.