Re: versions / suffixes in experimental

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 09:16:46AM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> Is there any convention for version numbers in experimental?

No such convention exists TTBOMK.

[...]
> I uploaded 2.2.5-6 and 2.2.5-7 to experimental.  Should I have given
> them versions like 2.2.5-6~exp1 or something and then upload a proper
> 2.2.5-6 to unstable when I am happy with it?  Or should my next upload
> to unstable by 2.2.5-8?

Both are okay.

> Or do I just ignore the version numbers I uploaded to experimental and
> use 2.2.5-6 as the next version number for an unstable upload, even if
> it doesn't contain the same things as 2.2.5-6 in experimental?

As others have pointed out, dak will refuse this.

This is only natural, if you think about it; when you upload something
to experimental and later upload it to unstable but with a version
number that sorts before the experimental version number, people who've
used the experimental version will be "stuck" with the version they
have, which is wrong any way you look at it.

In theory, it *should* be okay to migrate packages from experimental to
unstable without re-uploading them in the same manner that packages are
migrated from unstable to testing without re-upload. I don't know if dak
supports this mode of operation, however.

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26